Saturday, July 12, 2008

Welcome to Blue Dog Reader

Welcome to Blue Dog Reader!

A few weeks ago, my dad and I decided to read Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion together; and we need a venue for interaction with the work and with each other. When talking on the phone, thoughts can be expressed so poorly. Not infrequently do I hang up from a phone conversation with thoughts like: "I wish I had expressed that differently." or "Shoot! I forgot to bring up such-and-such." or "I hope he didn't take that the wrong way." In writing, one has time to chew on and to ruminate thoughts. Rather than spewing forth thoughts as we get the urge, this blog is intended to force both of us to be precise, careful, charitable, and direct.

Not that the medium of blog guarantees immunity from misunderstanding or imprecision. And that's why we have the wonderful comments section. The beautiful thing about a blog is that intelligent conversations can be had in a restrained and reasoned fashion, especially for those of us who don't think well on our feet or who need time to think about wording thoughts properly.

My desire is that through reading provoking literature, everyone involved will grow in grace and in knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Getting truth into our heads is the first step. Allowing the truth to shape our lives is an essential step that must take place for this exercise to be worthwhile. I trust that this blog will be a means of moving us from grace to grace. Perhaps after finishing Calvin's Institutes we will move on to more.

So here it is. A few more introductory posts will be forthcoming. Enjoy, and by all means, join the conversation!

No comments: